Sunless Tanning and Maintenance
The Perfect Tan doesn’t come without proper care before and after application.
There are 4 rules to follow when preparing for a spray tan. When these 4 rules are applied, you will experience a smoother, longer lasting tan.
Exfoliation should e part of everyone’s health regimen, however, exfoliation prior to a spray tan is especially important.
A spa grade exfoliator designed for spray tanning is recommended. If this is not available, use an oil-free scrub or shampoo and loofah. This will help to avoid left over residue which can affect the tan outcome. It is best to exfoliate 18-24 hours before a spray tan.
Benefits of Exfoliating:
– Removes dead skin cells allowing new cells to absorb color.
– Smooths top layer of skin for flawless spray tan application.
– Stimulates blood flow helping to promote cell generation.
Always use the recommendation of the technician and don’t shower too early. Showering prior to the recommended development time will increase the chances of washing the solution off before the color is fully absorbed into the skin.
While your solution is developing, remember the following:
-Avoid contact with sweat or water, until your designated shower time.
– Wear dark loose fitting clothing to avoid transfer and rub off.
– If sleeping in a developing solution, long pants and top are recommended. Darb bedding is also ideal.
– Refrain from touching or scratching areas that have had solution applied.
Hydration is key to a long lasting spray tan; be sure you stay hydrated inside and out. Drink plenty of water and use a moisturizing lotion 1-2 times per day.
Using Tan Extender at least once a day will improve the longevity of your spray tan. Tan Extending lotions contain a small % of DHA which will not only moisturize the skin but also provide a small amount of gradual tan to keep your skin looking flawless.
Moisturizing is a crucial component when preparing and maintaining a flawless spray tan. Moisturize 18-24 hours prior to your spray tan session, especially after exfoliation. This will help to strengthen the skin and allow for the tan to last longer and fade evenly.
Product usage is extremely important in maintaining a flawless, lasting tan. Be sure you are using proper daily product in your maintenance regimen, (moisturizers, washers, creams, etc.)
Your sunless products should be…
1. Paraben free
2. Contain zero or minimal sulfates, alcohols or other harsh and acidic ingredients.
3. Provide moisture without excessive oils that will strip the tan, water based is ideal.
4. Contain minimal added fragrance
5. Exclude Mineral Oil and Petroleum byproducts
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR TAN
– Avoid contact with chlorine. Chlorine’s abrasive chemicals can lead to premature fading of a spray tan.
– Pat dry rather than rubbing after exiting the shower. Rubbing can exfoliate and remove a tan.
– Avoid pedicure services after receiving a sunless tan. Exfoliation and rubbing is typically included in this service which will remove your tan and/or cause premature fading.
-Shaving is another form of exfoliation, be sue shaving is done 18-24 hours prior to a session. If shaving is necessary, be sure to lightly shave using a new razor. Using shaving cream/gel is not recommended.
*All information provided by Sjolie Sunless